Friday, October 28, 2011

Fabulous Fall Fridays: Potato Soup



I love soup. I basically live on soup in the colder months. Well, that's not true. I don't eat soup for breakfast. Or dessert. But lunch and dinner are all about soups.

This potato soup is super vegified making it healthy and filling. I was going to say that this was a vegan dish, but I used chicken broth, so it's not. If you want to make it vegan, use vegetable broth.

Here's how easy this was:

Renee's Potato Soup

4 medium sized yellow potatoes
1/2 smallish bag of baby carrots
1 head of broccoli
1 box of chicken broth
garlic
salt + pepper
olive oil
*celery would be good in this, but I did not have any

Reserve one potato and cut up your other veggies. I cut up the carrots first. I cooked the extra potato in plastic in the microwave until done (about 4 minutes), then pureed it with a little broth in my food processor to add a thickness to the soup without using flour.

Get your pot hot and throw in some oil to coat the bottom. Then toss in your chopped carrots and let them cook while you chop your other vegetables. Put the potatoes in as you cut them. Once the potatoes and carrots are in, season them with garlic, salt and pepper and put a lid on the pot and let them cook for about 10 minutes (that seemed like a run on sentence-oh well). Add the broth and the chopped broccoli and bring to a boil. Simmer until the veggies are tender, and stir in your pureed potato to thicken.

This soup is great with some cheese and bacon on top and a side of crusty bread.

So colorful!


10 comments:

Kayle said...

I love everything potato <3

Karen F said...

Looks Yummy! I love potatoes!!

Hi New email subscriber from Feed Me Friday!!

Karen
Mommy's Moments
http://www.avonbykaren.blogspot.com

Jill @ Momma Totally in Love said...

This looks really yummy! Thank you for the follow, Im now following you

Corinne O'Sullivan (aka Novice Mama) said...

I was out doing a little blog hopping and I came across you. I love the look of some of these recipes and I'm going to have to try some! Great blog, I'm following you too now!

Corinne
Novice Mama
http://novicemama.com

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Hi, I like your blog, Yummy!! now following back, I hope we will have nice time ahead :)
Thanks!

Momfever said...

It looks yummy! I'm not a soup person myself, though now that I think about it, I do love tomato soup. But my husband says 'soup' doesn't count as a meal! He can be quite annoying sometimes...

Mom Fashion World said...

I like having soups during cold and rainy days.
You are a great cook, darling!

Unknown said...

This looks delicious!! I love a good veggie soup! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following you back and looking forward to it! :)

LC said...

Mmm, soup for breakfast. Makes me think of Miso soup!
Your potato soup sounds very healthy! Looks like a nice quick lunch for me to try one day. Thanks so much.

Self Sagacity said...

I need to make some soup right away...I am always cold.
FYI- I had to refresh 3 times before I can see your GFC widget. Wonder why that is for some blogs?