Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Veggie Stuffed Spaghetti Squash



I never thought I'd be into spaghetti squash. It looks weird and the idea that some vegetable is out there trying to replace pasta just seems wrong.

I gave it a try about a year ago and it is not bad at all. I'm not going to replace all my pasta with it, but it is pretty dang yummy.

The lady ringing me up at the grocery store asked me what spaghetti squash tastes like and I said, "It really doesn't taste like much. It's more about the texture and you put whatever flavor you like on it and it takes on that flavor."

Well, this recipe is a winner. If you are into Weight Watchers (holla!) or calorie counting, this is an incredibly filling and healthy meal. There's like a bajillion vegetable servings stuffed into this squash (that's a rough estimation) and lovely Italian flavors. Feel free to adapt the recipe to your liking (I know I did).

Veggie Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Recipe adapted from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 red onion
2 handfuls baby carrots
1/2 red pepper
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
2 handfuls fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
3 tbsp Chavrie goat cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Salt to taste
Italian seasoning to taste

Directions:
Cut your spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the pulp and seeds. Lay the two halves down in a baking dish with about ½ inch of water and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes. Let it cool, so it will be easier to handle.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Dice up all your veggies. This is the most time intensive part of the recipe. You could probably buy some of these pre-cut. I cut my carrots the smallest, because they take the longest to cook.

Heat your large skillet with olive oil. Add onions, carrots and red pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes or until sort of fork tender. Add zucchini, squash and spinach and cook an additional 5 minutes.

Scrape the innards out of the spaghetti squash with a fork and place in a large bowl. Add the sauteed veggies, breadcrumbs, marinara sauce, goat cheese, and spices. Mix and return the mixture to the empty squash halves. Top with parmesan cheese. Bake until the top is bubbling and melted (about 15 minutes). Serves 2.

Not the most photogenic recipe, but so yummy and healthy-fied :)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing you did and tried spaghetti squash last year and fell in love with it. Would you please come link this up to the Holiday Sweet Swap that I'm co-hosting? Jump over to thestokerkitchen.blogspot.com and you'll see the button on the left sidebar.
Thanks

Amy Anderson said...

Thanks so much for linking up at A Little Nosh!